A teenage girl has been arrested on suspicion of poisoning her teachers by lacing the staff room kettle.
The 17-year-old, who cannot be named, was quizzed by detectives after two teachers complained of stomach cramps at the school in Torquay, Devon.
Officers, who had been called to the school for a separate matter, found a ‘noxious substance’ in the staff room kettle and launched an investigation.
The girl was arrested the following day at home in Cullompton, Devon and released on bail pending further enquiries.
Detective Constable Steve Fleetwood, of Devon and Cornwall police, said: ‘The inquiry centres on claims that an allegedly noxious substance may have been put in a kettle which caused two members of staff to fall ill with stomach problems.
‘We later arrested a 17-year-old girl on suspicion of poisoning.
‘She was questioned in Torquay on Thursday and then released on bail pending further enquiries.’
A spokesman for the school, which has not been identified, said: ‘Police were called to one of our services on an unrelated issue and a claim was made by one of our service users.
‘Officers are currently making enquiries to establish whether there is any foundation to what they said.
‘While investigations are ongoing, there is a limit to what we can say or do, but as soon as that investigation is completed, we will conduct our own enquiries to see whether we need to take any further action ourselves.’
The incident happened on February 17, the spokesman added.